Beth Tikvah Congregation Funeral Plan
Death and funerals are topics most of us do not want to discuss until the need is upon us.
While death is a natural part of the human life cycle, it is a stressful time for the family. Beth Tikvah Congregation seeks to assist our membership during these times through a number of benefits for eligible family members.
Beth Tikvah has selected a special, standard funeral package that eliminates the anxiety of making decisions at a very difficult time. We can also accommodate those who wish to make custom arrangements or who have prearrangements with a particular funeral home.
Fees vary based on level of service provided.
The Rabbi should be notified as soon as practical via the Temple office or, if appropriate, at his home. If the Rabbi is out of town or the Temple office is closed, contact either the President, Executive Vice President or Chair of the Ritual Committee who will notify the Rabbi or the covering Clergy.
Download Funeral Plan Brochure
Eligible Family Members
Who is eligible for a funeral service conducted at Beth Tikvah?
- A Jewish Beth Tikvah member or a dependent child living at home.
- Jewish family members, specifically, those related to the member as a parent, non-dependent child or spouse of a child (either living at home or in a different household)
Standard Funeral Package
A standard Beth Tikvah Funeral Package is available for any eligible funeral held at Beth Tikvah, the Goldman Chapel or Graveside. Prearrangements may be made. The following items are specifically included in the package:
- The Beth Tikvah Rabbi or his designate shall conduct the service
- Professional services of the Goldman Funeral Group and staff
- Transfer of deceased to funeral home (40 mile radius)
- Kosher casket and outer burial container
- Muslin shroud
- Six death certificates
- Automobile stickers for cars going to the cemetery
- Register book
- Shivah package(kriah ribbons, yamulkes, prayer books, candles, acknowledgment cards)
Among others, the following items are specifically not included in the package:
- Cemetery plot
- Cemetery charges for opening and closing the grave
- Honorarium for Clergy
- Death notice in newspaper
Custom arrangements may be made for any eligible funeral held at Beth Tikvah. A congregant may wish to contract the professional services of any Funeral Director as long as the following minimum requirements are met:
- Kosher Casket
- Fully Bonded and Insured
Shalom Memorial Park
Beth Tikvah Congregation has three designated areas set aside at Shalom Memorial Park in Palatine. If a plot in these areas is desired, the member should contact Barry Goldberg at 847-255-3520. Prearrangements may be made.
Notification of Temple Members
- The office staff shall notify Sisterhood and LAFF of any deaths in the congregational family.
- It is the current practice of the Beth Tikvah Sisterhood to use their callers to notify only Sisterhood members of the death of any Temple member’s family and information on the Shiva service.
- It is the current practice of the Beth Tikvah’s LAFF Group to use their callers to notify only LAFF members of the death of any LAFF member.
Help at the Shiva House
- Upon request from the family, the Rabbi or appropriate substitute will be available to conduct memorial services while the family is sitting Shiva.
- The office staff shall notify the Chair of the Caring Community Committee as soon as notified about the funeral arrangements.
- The Chair of the Caring Committee shall contact the family and offer assistance at the Shiva house during and immediately after the funeral.
- Standard Beth Tikvah Funeral Package
The price of the standard package can vary based on actual costs.
As of March 13, 2008 the prices are
- Beth Tikvah Member $5,945
- Eligible family member $6,945
- The price for the standard package plus any additional items (such as a newspaper death notice) will be billed directly to the member by the Goldman Funeral Group.
- Custom Funeral Package
Member negotiates and pays fees directly to funeral home of choice; however, Beth Tikvah charges an additional $1,000 for eligible family members (category II) when the funeral is held at Beth Tikvah.
- Services conducted graveside or at a funeral home
Member negotiates and pays fees directly to funeral home of choice.
- Pre-paid Funeral Package
Member may negotiate this option with the Goldman Funeral Group.